Sunday afternoon I had finished my gardening and chores so I decided to jump into the kitchen and do some baking. I decided to bake my husbands favorite cookie – monte carlo. They were so delicious that I thought I’d share the recipe.
185g cooking butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups SR flour
3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup shredded coconut
60 g butter
3/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoon milk
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy, add egg and vanilla and beat well.
2. Add sifted dried ingredients and coconut then mix well.
3. Roll teaspoons of mixture into balls and press with forks
4. Bake in 180 degree C oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.
5. To make filling, cream butter and sifted icing sugar until light and creamy. Add vanilla then gradually add milk and beat well.
6. Once the cookies have cooled add the filling. On one cookie spread raspberry jam (I used my delicious homemade jam) and on the other side spread the icing.
7. Then gently press the two together.
8. Store in an air tight container in the fridge until ready to enjoy. Or enjoy immediately with an espresso.